The object of the Master’s degree is on the one hand the production of knowledge in the scientific field of the Administration of Health & Welfare Units and on the other hand its transmission to the postgraduate students who will attend it, thus achieving the wider purpose of the present Interdepartmental Master’s Program, which is the provision in Greek society and in the sector of the administration of health and welfare units of high level executives who can satisfy the requirements of the relevant public and private enterprises and organizations, for qualified human resources to contribute on the one hand to the sustainable social and economic development of the country and on the other hand to contribute to the upgrading of the health and welfare system.
The graduates of the Master, according to its academic subject, are expected to acquire a strong scientific background, skills, experience and know-how in the Administration of Health & Welfare Units. More specifically, the Master aims to:
- The high-level interdisciplinary postgraduate education of students, who after the completion of their studies will be able to successfully staff a wide range of fields related to the administration of health and welfare units, so as to contribute decisively to the production and management of integrated administrative approaches and applications.
- The development, diffusion and promotion of interdisciplinary research in all individual branches of the administration of health and welfare units.
For the establishment of the Master a relevant Special Cooperation Protocol has been signed between the Department of Organization Management, Marketing & Tourism and the Department of Nursing of the International Hellenic University (formerly Alexandrio TEI Thessalonikis). The Master is directed by a Special Interdepartmental Committee and is based in the Department of Organization Management, Marketing & Tourism of the International Hellenic University, which is also the primary responsible for its operation.
With the specific Master, graduates are expected to acquire a strong scientific background in a range of subjects related to the administration of health and welfare units, new modern knowledge and experience in the individual subjects of the elective courses they chose, such as: management, human resources management, marketing and communication, health economics, psychology, the utilization of new information and communication technologies, organizational theory, etc. Also, the graduates are expected to develop the necessary scientific knowledge and skills to adopt the best approaches in the field of administration of health and welfare units that will enable them to become capable both in the private sector and in the wider public sector.
Aim of the Master’s Degree:
The Master aims to provide a high-level post-graduate education in the field of Health & Welfare Units Management to university graduates. In particular, the specialized purposes of the Master in the Administration of Health & Welfare Units are:
- The deepening and promotion of knowledge in the subject matter of the Administration of Health & Welfare Units but also in related scientific areas, such as international activity, local and regional health policy development, marketing and the promotion of development and research, theory and of its applications in individual sectors of health and welfare services.
- The specialization of the graduates of the Departments of Organization Management, Marketing & Tourism and Nursing of the International Hellenic University and the corresponding Departments of other A.E.I. and the formation of executives capable of responding both to the professional field of health and welfare units and to the interdisciplinary study of the specific knowledge object.
- The preparation of high-level executives with expertise in effective administration and the extroversion of health and welfare units, which is a necessary requirement for the stimulation and development of both the Greek economy and the health system as a whole.
- The specialization of the graduates in the subject of the Master with the aim of creating scientists capable of staffing the structures of Health services at central and regional level (Ministry of Health, Health Regions) as well as the primary, secondary and tertiary units providing health services (Hospitals, Health Centers, Local Health Units).
- The training in Management issues of the employees who staff the health services (Nursing – Medical and Administrative Service Executives).
- The postgraduate preparation of scientists who wish to continue their studies in a third cycle of studies (doctoral studies).
The subject of studies of the Master concerns the largest sector of the Greek economy (the service sector) and it is very attractive at the national and international level. This is visible by the acceptance of students in corresponding master’s degrees and also by the career path of their graduates so far.
The Master in the Management of Health & Welfare Units has been organized based on the Qualifications Framework of the European Higher Education Area and the European Qualifications Framework for Lifelong Learning. Specifically, the Learning Outcomes of the Master are as follows:
- Preparation of postgraduate students in the theory, practice and importance of health and welfare services administration, and equipping them with knowledge and skills that will enable them to meet the demands of science and society.
- Specialization in the field of special forms of health and welfare units, but also objects such as health tourism.
- Familiarization with new technologies at the level of using specialized software.
- Specialization of knowledge in the fields of management science, human resource management, organizational behavior and knowledge management in public and private enterprises and health and welfare organizations.
- Specialization of knowledge in the field of management and service quality assurance.
- The improvement of the organizational and management abilities of any type of health and welfare unit, regardless of size and object of activity.
- Ability to assess the effects of health service development and development systems on people, society, economy and the environment.
- Specialized knowledge of assessment and certification of hospitality services in health and welfare units.
- Expertise in strategic planning and development of local, regional and national health and welfare policy.
- Ability to evaluate environmental impact studies regarding the construction of infrastructure projects and entrepreneurship in the health and welfare sectors.
- Ability to prepare and implement integrated development plans focusing on health and related services.
- Creation and implementation of integrated marketing and communication planning for both public and private health and welfare units.
- Ability to evaluate principles and actions of e-business, e-governance and utilization of new technologies in the field of health.
- Ability to connect interdisciplinary research in the subjects of health and welfare administration with the needs of the economy and society.
- Statistical analysis and research data processing skills.
- Knowledge of legislation.
- Development of knowledge and skills of innovation and efficient management in the public and private sector.